Saturday, July 7, 2007

My Inner Norma Rae

So I decided to take charge of recycling

It's not hard, you just have to give a shit. And no one really does in our building in the Bronx. Which is sort of silly, given that there is a major recycling plant two blocks from us... probably the source of some of the fumes which are killing my orchid.

Let me just say: NYers are really some of the most environmental citizens in the world. Not because we give a shit, but because we live communally, we live densely. We share things - like electricity, water, gas. We ride public transportation. We do not water lawns or heat single family homes.

We'll see how it goes. I asked our landlord to buy some extra cans and clear bags. I went to the NYC recycling Web site and ordered decals. When the cans and bags arrived, I labeled everything. S., our super, couldn't quite get it straight - the clear bags, the blue can, the green can, the bottles and cartons, the mixed paper. But we're working on it. We're working on it. I'm keeping an eye out.

We've also started collecting coffee grinds, egg shells and vegetable scraps. We actually bag them up and take them with us to the country, where we throw them on the compost pile.

Next up: trying to do something about the derelict building next door. Our landlord has been trying to track down the owner. Apparently, he won't sell. Meantime, the building is a wreck, there is garbage everywhere, and the rodents are visiting us regularly. J. and I have each filed complaints with the NYC Dept. of Health & Mental Hygiene (what the heck is mental hygiene??), we're encouraging others to do the same. Our landlord says he's looking into fencing for the back patio area - so we don't have to look at the garbage, so we can maybe create an outdoor space. I have volunteered to do container plantings back there.

J. came home the other day with a little spray bottle. Maybe it needs some humidity, some spritzing, he said. Hope springs eternal. I have decided to name the orchid: her name is Ella.

No comments: