Sunday, July 8, 2007

Bugs (Moths, In Particular)

A little orchid research: Ella is a phalaenopsis - commonly known as a Moth Orchid. From the American Orchid Society:

"An American Orchid Society demographic survey showed that
phalaenopsis have become America’s favorite orchid. And no
wonder. Perhaps no other orchid is better suited to home orchid growing.
Plants with long-lasting sprays of lovely mothlike blooms in a broad array
of colors are inexpensive and widely available, ready to give weeks of
pleasure in your home or office. Simply provide modest light and consistent
moisture, and they will delight you with their relative ease of culture.
The main flowering season is late winter into spring, though commercial
growers today can make flowering phalaenopsis available year round."

Speaking of moths... city and country life have one thing in common for sure: bugs. But very different bugs. Here in the country, we have lots of moths - moths of all sizes, that knock on the windows constantly, especially when there is a light nearby. Sometimes, when we open the doors to get air flowing through the house, the moths come flocking, and the ceilings and walls are covered in moths; it's quite something. I don't mind the moths at all (wasps and giant mosquitoes I could do without). There's some psychic/creative assurance for me there, because they remind me of one my primary inspirations for both living in the country, and the writing life: Annie Dillard.

AD wrote A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek - the book I was reading at the moment (yes, there was actually a moment) I realized/decided that I needed to be a writer. That there was really no other path for me, not a true one. Pilgrim is chock full of bugs. AD has written a lot about moths in particular; here is one link to a section from An American Childhood. The intro to this excerpt states: As a student, Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Annie Dillard encountered a moth that changed her life.

There is another AD moth essay that changed my life. I'll track it down for the next post. And coming next: Bronx bugs.

No comments: