Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Moths Again, and Junk Shopping

This scared the heck outta me; it was perched on the side of the inner window sill, and it looked like something straight out of Lord of the Rings - like a chunk of animated bark.



This is not an actual photo, but one I found on a bug site, as I was digging around for what manner of creature this thing could possibly be. After the initial siting, I saw it again later in the evening, on the floor by the bathroom. I stomped my foot next to it, but it didn't move. I was convinced it was not a living thing at all; but then, how to explain its original sideways perch, and how did it get from the window sill to the other room?

According to this rather amazing site, whatsthatbug.com, it is a blind sphinx moth, calasymbolus exaecatus. Says the very knowledgeable author of the site: The caterpillar feeds on willow, Hazel and other similar plants. The moth is relatively common in Pennsylvania, and ranges from southern Canada to Florida, and west to the Mississippi River. Sphinx Moths, also called Hawk Moths, are very strong fliers... Bugs seem to come to my house to die; I wonder what I will find when I return next week...

It's been raining buckets in the country. We picked the squash blossoms and will probably deep fry them in a light batter. No actual squash yet, but any day now. The lettuce is wilty but tasty, not too bitter, which is surprising; this is not at all the time of year for lettuce, it's usually best in early spring when the weather is cool. J. says it's had time to "develop personality," without being stressed. I can't help wonder if we're talking about lettuce or something else.

J. changed the water filter; I just couldn't do it. Not this time, anyway. Maybe next time.

At the Salvation Army, we looked for clay pots for Little Man, the rubber tree. No luck (we found them later at Home Depot, alas), but J. found a motorcycle touring book from the '70's and a Tom Wolfe novel; I found a Polaroid Land Camera 104, circa 1965. It appears they still make film packs for it, and I saw a manual for it on ebay. Maybe I'll actually figure the thing out.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ew. Bugs. Good sleuthing, Nancy. How do people match living creatures to book pictures? My in-laws can identify all kinds of birds around their backyard feeders b/c they look up books. I think it's my city background - seeing living, nonhuman creatures paralyzes and/or diverts my observation powers. I guess.

I'm getting yummy lettuce greens from farm! Plus zucchini, squash, carrots.

I've been compulsively reading other people's blogs (I showed interesting ones to D. and he said "but I don't know these people" so I gave up on him), working on mine, starting a new one for the CSA farm - way too fun!

Orchid in the Bronx said...

M., I can't wait to read about your CSA farm. There was an interview with Terry Gross a few weeks back with a fella who started one in upstate NY, and someone made a documentary film about him. I think it's called "The Truth About Farmer John" or something like that. I wrote to the local CSA farm in PA, but no response. Hmm...